The Governing Council, Principal, Staff, Old Maroonians on staff, Students and the entire Jasikan College of Education (JASICO) community, have the pleasure to invite you to the Home Coming and Launching of the 60th anniversary.
Date: 9th – 11th December, 2011.
Venue: JASICO Campus
Theme: Distance Education “Its challenges and the way forward for the Teacher”
Guest of Honour: Hon. Dr Kwabena Adjei (Old Boy)
For more information, please contact the following:
Rev. W.Y. Oyiti 0244489861, Mr. Issaka Jacob 0246133708, and Mr. Tsyawo Johnson 0244130864
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
In 1952, Evangelical Presbyterian Education unit was charged with the responsibility by the government to open the third Teacher Training College. While searching for suitable and permanent site for the College, Peki Blengo initially held the fort.
Two tutors namely the Rev. H.B.K. Ogbete and Mr. P.K Kpeto were appointed from Amedzofe Training College to start the new college. On the 21st of January 1952, the new Teacher Training College was opened with thirty male students at the premises of E.P. Girls Senior School at Peki Blengo.
The College was manned by a Body corporate of Eminent Educationists (which acted as Board Governors). The College adopted the motto “SAPERE AUDE” which means “DARE TO BE WISE”. The College was not referred to as Peki Training College but “Body corporate” or simply “Body Co”.
A German – American missionary, Rev. Eugene Grau who was then working at Peki Blengo was appointed the Acting principal. He taught Religious Knowledge and Messrs Ogbete and Kpeto taught the remaining subjects. In the latter part of 1952, a retired supervisor of Presbyterian schools, Mr. F.D. Harker, a Scottish missionary and a Trained Educationist who worked in and around Begoro in the present day Eastern Region E.P. Education Unit was appointed as the first substantive Principal.
Mr. Harker’s immediate assignment was to expedite action on moving the College to a convenient place in the northern sector of the then Trans Volta Togoland (now Volta Region). Nana Osei Brantuo III, the then chief of Jasikan and the Adontenhene of the Buem Traditional Area accepted to host the College after series of consultations and deliberations among the chiefs of the Northern sector. On December 12th, 1952, the college finally moved to Jasikan.
In 1952, the College attained the full Co – Education status when the first batch of female students numbering fifteen was admitted into the college. The first speech and Prize – Giving Day of the college was held in 1959. Students who excelled academically and in co – curricular activities received laurels.
Today, the College is well noted for High Academic standards, good moral standards, good performance in sports and games, etc.
Come, let us Hail the Name of JASICO and render our Services to her. Yes, come and be part of this Historical Event.
FELLOW MAROONIANS ……………………………………
By Mr. Tsyawo Johnson (Science Tutor)
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|