The National President of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT), Mrs Philippa Larsen, has assured teachers that negotiations on issues that have to do with salary, arrears, upgrading and other allowances are ongoing and the government is committed to paying what teachers deserved.
“Discussions on negotiations on minimum wage and base pay have been ongoing and I hope such negotiations would be concluded meaningfully and the GNAT members, as well as all teachers shall be informed accordingly,” she said.
The GNAT President was addressing members of the association at the sixth Quadrennial Delegates Conference at Senchi last Thursday on the theme, “GNAT @ 90 surviving as a reliable and vibrant teacher union in the 21st century”.
“GNAT leadership takes information from neither radio nor television. Whatever information the leadership puts out into the public domain comes out of meetings held with the government and other stakeholders.
“Let me say that teachers are safe with regards to the negotiations held so far with government and there should be no room for any fear or doubt,” Mrs. Larsen assured teachers.
According to the National President, a template had been sent to the district, municipal and metropolitan education offices to collate data of beneficiaries for validation and payments.
She also announced that negotiations with the government were far advanced to supply every teacher with a laptop computer on cost sharing bases.
She explained that the government would bear 70 per cent of the cost, while a teacher would contribute the remaining 30 per cent and was hopeful that it would boost the morale of teachers in this technological age.
The Headmaster of Adjena Senior High Technical School, Mr James Affadu, who was the guest speaker, said pupils/students were in the technological age and teachers should, therefore, look at innovative ways of delivering their lessons in order to make the learners global citizens.
He also advised the teachers to build their corporate images by dressing decently anywhere they found themselves.
The Asuogyaman District Director of Education, Mrs Theodora Kutorkor Entee, praised the teachers in the district for their commitment and dedication towards quality education.
The outgone District Chairman of GNAT, Mr Moses K. Bosu, in his report, said for the union to continue to be relevant, reliable and vibrant, leadership of GNAT at the national level should consider instituting a workable health insurance scheme for its members and immediate dependents.
The conference elected nine member new executives under the chairmanship of Harrison Mompi.
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|