Fire has razed three rooms in a 13-bedroom house at Dwomo in the Techiman Municipality, causing damage to property worth millions of Ghana cedis.
It took personnel of the Municipal Fire Service more than an hour to bring the fire under control.
No casualty was reported, but 14 occupants of the house have been left without shelter. The cause of the blaze was not immediately known.
Mr. Isaac Offin, a spokesman for the victims told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) the fire started at about midnight when the occupants were all asleep.
He said items destroyed included refrigerators, television sets, DVD players, ceiling fans, cooking utensils, motorbikes, bicycles, three packets of roofing sheets, bags of maize, other personal belongings and a cash of about GHC 1,250.
Madam Elizabeth Owusu, one of the victims, said she was awakened by an explosion and shouted to alert the other occupants.
She said they tried their best to put off the fire but could not as it had escalated.
Mr. Yaw Donkor, another occupant who could not control his tears, said he managed to escape with his 10-year-old son.
“All my documents including bank notes, cheques and visa have been destroyed by the fire”, he lamented.
Mr. Donkor on behalf of the victims appealed to the Municipal Assembly, National Disaster Management Organisation, philanthropists and well-to-do citizens to come to their aid.
The victims are currently staying with friends and relatives.
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|