The Electoral Commission has been ordered by the Supreme Court to stop running adverts of its impending national voter registration exercise originally set to begin tomorrow.
The order was made after lawyers of the National Youth Organiser of the Peoples National Convention Abu Ramadan, applied for an interlocutory injunction on the registration process.
Abu Ramadan is seeking to stop the EC from going ahead to register new voters ahead of the 2016 elections.
The petitioners insist the modalities, including the use of National Health Insurance Cards which are being used by the EC for the registration process were illegal and unacceptable.
The Court is expected to give its ruling on the interlocutory injunction later Thursday but the judges, Joy News’ Anny Osabutey reported were unhappy with what appeared to be acts of impunity by the EC.
Justice Jones Dotse is said to have reprimanded the EC for going ahead with adverts on the registration, even when an injunction had been sought in the highest court of the land.
He said he personally saw one of those adverts on Wednesday and wondered why the EC was acting with such impunity.
He warned such acts would not be tolerated.
Lawyer for the EC, James Quarshie Idun, described the adverts as an oversight and assured they would no longer be run.
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|