A teacher and his three male children suffered severe electric shocks at Atua, near Krobo-Odumase in the Lower Manya District of the Eastern Region, last Friday as they tried to relocate a TV antenna.
Patrick Tetteh Tekpetey, 47, a teacher at Sisiamang-Sisi L/A Primary in the Upper Manya District, was following in the Upper Manya District, was following the orders of an electrical contractor who was installing new high-tension lines to beef up electricity in the district. The contractor had asked the teacher to remove his metal TV antenna since it could be dangerous to residents of the house. But the execution of the order nearly wiped out half of his entire family.
Patrick Tekpetey, who was teaching at Atua before being transferred to Sisiamang, returned from his post to visit his family at Atua on that fateful day. He asked his 16-year-old and 13-year-old sons, Collins and Michael, to assist him to remove his TV antenna as ordered by the contractor working on the new lines.
Unknown to them, the new lines, which were very close to their house, had power in them. As they were removing the antenna the intensity of the electric power was such that as the antenna turned towards them it was readily pulled as all three of them held on to it.
The three were consequently electrocuted with no help from anywhere else.
It took the bravery of one Wabu, as women around wailed for help, who used a big piece of firewood to hit the antenna hard before the three dropped from it, unconscious. They were rushed to the Atua Government Hospital with very serious burns all over their bodies.
According to reports, when the antenna fell onto the lines the ground started shaking violently, causing the victim’s two-year-old son, who was playing around, to also get electrocuted.
Installation of the new high-tension lines close to houses in the town has raised serious concerns about the safety of its residents. A brother of the victim, Elias Aduimado told the Daily Guide that the unfortunate incident could have been prevented if the electrical contractor had heeded the advice of the district engineer of Electricity Company of Ghana to relocate the high-tension lines, but the contractor ignored it and went ahead in order to reduce cost. “It is by the grace of God that my brother and his children have gained consciousness, and so far we have spent GH¢1,300 towards their medical expenses”, he said, adding that the medical cost for the victims keeps on increasing.
Mr. Aduimado however praised the National Health Insurance Scheme, which he said has helped reduce the cost of treatment of his brother and the children. “My brother’s 13-year son, who is in critical condition, has however been referred to Korle-Bu, while he and his two other children are still at Atua Government Hospital recuperating”, he indicated, adding that the family will need financial assistance from NADMO and other well-meaning individuals.
Source: Daily Guide
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|