Madam Safia Karimu, a nursing mother, and Madam Safia Karimu, a mother of five, both petty traders were on Tuesday electrocuted in Bawku.
The two women who live in the same community were fetching water from a neighbour’s house for domestic use when one of them, Madam Asongba, decided to take a rest and leaned on a wall that was electrified by an exposed live wire and got electrocuted.
Madam Fatima Abugre, a neighbour, who narrated the incident to the Ghana News Agency in an interview in Bawku, said when Madam Karimu saw the colleague struggling, she decided to help her by pulling her to safety but both of them got electrocuted.
She said she shouted for help and people around the house came to their rescue and rushed them to the Bawku Presbyterian hospital for medical attention.
Dr Dannise Daliri, Medical Officer of the Hospital, confirmed that the two women died on arrival but indicated that further investigations would be carried out to ascertain whether they were killed by electricity.
Mr Gershon Kumahlor, Stationed Officer of the Northern Electricity Distribution Company, noted some one tempered with the electric wire leading to the fatalities.
Madam Hajia Bola who is the owner of the house was arrested by the Bawku Police to assist the police in investigating the criminal aspect of the incident.
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|