National Organizer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Mr. Kofi Adams says the party will by the end of this week voice out its displeasure about certain government policies and happenings in the country.
He says the party after organizing a successful burial ceremony for the late Vice President, Paa Kwesi Bekoe Amissah Arthur, is organizing itself to hit back strongly at government.
Speaking on Okay FM's Ade Akye Abia programme, he explained that it is not that the main opposition looks unconcern about the hardship and poor governance of the NPP government.
"We are putting together series of issues along side our elections, by the close of this week, you will hear from us. A lot of things have gone wrong under this government," he stated.
The opposition NDC had planned a series of demonstrations to register their protest about the governance of the country by the current administration, but the untimely demise of Ghana's former vice president had subsequently halted activities of the opposition NDC.
Among key issues of concern to the opposition NDC is the appointment of a new Electoral Commissioner and the renegotiation of the Ameri deal which the Minority thinks is an act of corruption being perpetuated by the ruling NPP government.
President Did Not Err
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court has thrown out an application seeking to place an injunction on the President from appointing a new Electoral Commissioner following the sacking of Mrs. Charlotte Osei.
The plaintiff, Fafali Nyonator argued that the President be prevented from continuing with the process of appointing a new EC until an earlier suit challenging the legality of the process used to dismiss Charlotte Osei and her deputies is determined.
However, the seven member panel at the Supreme Court disallowed the injunction application; stating that Article 2 clause 2 of the 1992 Constitution makes available remedies for a reinstatement if the court does find the removal of Charlotte Osei unconstitutional.
AMERI Deal "Stinks"
The John Mahama administration in 2015 signed a contract with Africa and Middle East Resources Investment Group (AMERI) Energy, to rent the 300MW of emergency power from AMERI.
This was at the peak of the country’s power crisis.
The power agreement with UAE-based AMERI Energy deal cost $510 million.
But according to the NPP administration, it found out that the government had been shortchanged by AMERI as they presented an overpriced budget, and were overpaid by $150 million.
The new administration thus commenced a renegotiation process to ensure value for money.
However, the President on Monday, July 30, by an Executive Order approved the Novation and Amendment Agreement of the AMERI Energy deal, seeking to buy out the $510million deal from Ameri and hand it over to a third company, Mytilineos for 15 years.
A deal NDC MPs argue that it will cost the country much more than the original one.
The Energy Ministry, however, insists the deal is in the best interest of the country. The new deal when approved will last for 15 years instead of the original 5.
|Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Peacefmonline.com. Peacefmonline.com accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.|