Madina: Man Kills His Deputy Director Wife On Mother's Day And Commits Suicide

A deputy Director of the Accra Regional Nursing Services, Elizabeth Adjei Owusu, 50, was shot dead in her matrimonial home at Madina Firestone in Accra on Motherís Day by her husband, Emmanuel Nii Adjei Owusu, 57. A locally-manufactured pistol, suspected to have been used for the crime, with two empty shells of cartridges was retrieved from the crime scene. Reports say Nii Adjei, who had been married to Elizabeth for almost 30 years, had suspected his wife of infidelity, an issue which resulted in a quarrel the night before the incident. Sources say the marriage had been a very tempestuous one. A source said the couple broke up for sometime before reuniting somewhere in 2006. The police told Daily Guide that investigations revealed that Nii Adjei had become frustrated following the stagnation of his real estate business. He had frequently nagged and confronted his wife with whom he had two grown-up children, male and female, over infidelity. Chief Superintendent Frank Adufati, the Accra Regional Crime Officer, who confirmed the story, said the Madina Police had a distress call at about 2:30am on Sunday, May 13, 2012 that a man had shot and killed his wife at Firestone, a Madina suburb. Officers from the station were sent immediately to the scene where they saw Nii Adjei lying dead in a pool of blood in a sofa in the living room while Elizabeth lay on the bed unconsciously in the bedroom, also in a pool of blood, with a gaping gunshot wound in one of her ears. Their 27-year old daughter, Linda Naa Adjeley Adjetey, who was then in the house, said she heard a gunshot while in her bedroom and rushed out to find both parent dead, one lying in the hall and the other in the bedroom. The police, on arriving at the scene, rushed Elizabeth to the 37 Military Hospital, where she was put on a life support device in a bid to save her life but she died shortly afterwards. Her body has since been deposited at that Hospitalís morgue while her husbandís body was deposited at the Police Hospitalís morgue awaiting autopsy. The police revealed that the jealous husband had shot his wife through the ear leaving some pellets in her brain before shooting himself.