Man Crushed On Val’s Day

Valentine’s Day, which falls on the 14th of every February, is marked the world over as a day of love. On this day, many show love to their loved ones through so many ways, some of which include exchanging gifts, merry-making and exchanging wishes of good fortune. However, in Aflao, the capital of the Ketu South Municipality of the Volta Region, this year’s Valentine’s Day saw what could be described as the most horrific death in the year. A traffic director, who went to work, hoping to have a blissful Valentine’s Day, ended his journey on earth with his head flattened by a Grader beyond recognition. Mawuli Goka, who was believed to be about 28 years, lost his life after the Grader flattened his head. The accident, which attracted a lot of people, has been described by residents as a horrific one, making it a “Bloody Valentine”. Mawuli, whose body had since been deposited at the Ketu South Municipal Hospital morgue, was a traffic director at Gio China International Engineering Company, the construction firm working on the Denu-Aflao section of the Accra Aflao highway. The District Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Emmanuel Odonkor who confirmed the incident to DAILY GUIDE, narrated that at about 1:30pm on Thursday 14th February, 2013, a Grader operator, Jonas Adawui, went operating the grader after the afternoon break. He was spreading heaped latrite on the road around Excel Filling Station while Mawuli was directing traffic. Unknown to him, the traffic director had wanted to mount the grader. In the process, he slipped and fell between the two tyres of the grader, making the rear tyre run over his head, flattening it and killing him instantly. Jonas, realizing the machine had run over something, stretched out his neck to observe and found out that Mawuli was lying dead in a pool of blood. He quickly came down and carried his colleague to the side of the road, but it was too late. The police were then informed and the body conveyed to the Ketu South Municipal Hospital Morgue pending autopsy. Investigations are ongoing, Chief Supt Odonkor noted.