I Never Gave My Statement To The Police – Hajia Adams

Hajia Adams, first prosecution witness, the case of the murder of the former Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party, has told the High Court hearing the case that she never gave her statement to the police.

    Gregory Afoko, a farmer is alleged to have killed Mr Adams Mahama, the NPP Upper East Regional chairman. He is being held on the charges of conspiracy to commit crime to wit murder and murder, he has pleaded not guilty before a seven-member jury at the court.

     Hijia Adams wife of the deceased said “even though the police came to her house after the incident, they never took my statement”.

     Answering questions from the lead defence counsel, Mr Osafo Boabeng, during cross examination on Tuesday, Hajia Adams said she reported the incident to the police, the very day the incident happened and was issued with a medical form, for treatment.

     Asked when the medical form was issued to her by the police, she told the court that it was the same day and not July 13, two months after the incident.

     Mr Boabeng, asked why her face did not show in the pictures of her burnt breast and arm she showed to the court on the last adjourned date, she told the court that, she could not tell why it did not appear, because it was the police who took the pictures of her acid burn body.

     She said her deceased husband sustained injuries all over his body as a result of the acid, and so in pulling him out, I also sustained burns on my left arm and breast.

     Whilst pulling my husband, he told me that acid had been poured on him, and he mentioned the names of the accused person and one Asake as the people who poured it on him.

     Asked whether she was the only one at home on the said day, she said she lived in the house with only her husband since their four children were all at school.

     Mr Boabeng asked how she was able to see the alleged gallon of acid she gave to the police, since the place was dark; Hajia Adams said she was able to see it because the light of her husbands’ vehicle was still on.

     The matter was later adjourned to May 15, 16, 18 and 19, for continuation of cross examination.

     At the last adjourned date, the witness identified to the court, the dress and shoes of her deceased husband and gallon containing the substance that was poured on him.

     She identified the brown shirt, ash trousers and the black shoe her husband wore on the day the incident happened to the court.

     The prosecution intends to call 14 other witnesses, aside Hajia Adams to make their case.

     It is alleged that Afoko is alleged to have carried out the act with one Alandgi Asake who is on the run.

     A third accomplice, Musa Issa, was granted bail after the Attorney-General opined that there was not enough evidence to put him on trial.

     GNA files indicate that on February 23, last year, an Accra District Court committed Afoko to stand trial at the High Court to answer to the charges against him.

     The State indicated at committal proceedings before the Magistrate Court and tendered over 17 exhibits in respect of the trial.

     The exhibits include Afoko’s caution and charge statements as well as a post mortem report of the deceased conducted on November 25, 2015, by Dr Lawrence Edusei; a medical report on the deceased wife who also sustained injuries in her bid to assist the deceased when the incident occurred.

     Other exhibits are a gallon containing the alleged residue of acid found at the crime scene, a cup believed to have been used by the assailants in pouring the acid on to the deceased, the deceased’s pair of shoes and attire and a piece of carpet in the deceased car.

     The rest were various reports from the Ghana Standard Authority (GSA), a pair of blue-black track suit belonging to Afoko and photographs of the crime scene.

    Prosecution is being led by Mr Amponsah, Chief State Attorney, who told the court that the deceased was a contractor who lived at Bolgatanga SSNIT Flats in the Upper East Region and also the NPP Regional Chairman.

     According to Mr Amponsah, Afoko also lived in Bolgatanga and was the younger brother of Mr Paul Afoko, former National Chairman of the NPP.

     The State said the accused is also a party activist, and was close to the deceased.

     On May 20, 2015, the deceased left his house to his construction site in his pick-up truck with registration number NR 761-14.

     The Chief State Attorney said the deceased returned to the house in the night and at the entrance of his house, two men signaled him to roll down the window of his car.

     The deceased obliged and the two men, however, poured acid on the deceased and fled on a motorbike.

     Mr Amponsah said Mr Mahama shouted for help and his wife, Hajia Zenabu Adams went to his aid.

     He said Mrs. Adams also sustained burns on her chest and breast in her bid to assist the victim.

     According to Mr Amponsah, the deceased told the wife that it was Gregory and Asanke, who poured the acid on him.

     The deceased also mentioned the two accused persons, in the presence of neighbours, as the people who poured the acid on him.

     The Chief State Attorney said Mr Adams was rushed to the Intensive Care Unit of the Bolgatanga Hospital where he passed on.

     Mr Amponsah said the Police proceeded to the crime scene and collected a gallon containing the residue of the alleged acid, a cup and clothes of the assailant.

     He said the passenger and driver’s seats were soaked with the acid and a pair of track suit used by the accused was also picked up.

     The items retrieved were sent to the Ghana Standard Board.

     Afoko was picked up at about 0200 hours in his house and he led the Police to Asake’s house. Asake was, however, not available.

     A postmortem conducted on the deceased by Dr Edusei indicates that Mr Adams died of extensive acid burns.