Afoko Case Adjourned Again

Mr Mathew Amponsah, Chief State Attorney on Tuesday prayed an Accra High Court for short adjournment of the trial of Gregory Afoko accused of the murdering the former Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), due to blockade of the Accra-Nsawam road.

Mr Amponsah, who is the Prosecutor in the case told the court that, Prison Officers from Nsawam Prison could not transport the accused person to court because of an accident on the Accra-Nsawam road leading to the blockade.

He said “from enquiries, I have been told that there is an accident on the Accra-Nsawam road which has completely blocked the road”.

He told the court that, the prison authorities did not try to use an alternative route for security reasons.

He further told the court that his next witness was however in court. The court then adjourned the case to January 24.

At the previous sitting, the case was adjourned because the court was informed that the Prosecutor, Mr Amponsah, was out of the jurisdiction.

The accused person however was in court that day but his counsel, Mr Osafo Boabeng was absent.

The prosecution intends to call eleven other witnesses, in addition to Hajia Adams, Madam Issaka, Quinn and Taufic.

Gregory Afoko, a farmer, was alleged to have killed Mr Adams Mahama.
Afoko is being held on the charges of conspiracy to commit crime to wit murder and murder.

He has pleaded not guilty before the Court, which is also composed of a seven-member jury.

It was alleged, that Afoko carried out the act with one Alandgi Asabke, who is on the run.

A third accomplice, Musa Issa, was granted bail after the Attorney-General opined that there was not enough evidence to prosecute him.

The GNA earlier reported that on February 23, last year, an Accra District Court committed Afoko to stand trial at the High Court to answer to the charges against him.

The State at the committal proceedings tendered more than 17 exhibits in respect of the trial.

The exhibits include Afoko’s caution and charge statements as well as a post-mortem report on the deceased conducted by Dr Lawrence Edusei; a medical report on the deceased’s wife, who also sustained injuries in her bid to assist the deceased when the incident occurred.

Other exhibits are a gallon containing the alleged residue of acid found at the crime scene, a cup believed to have been used by the assailants in pouring the acid on the deceased, the deceased’s pair of shoes and attire and a piece of carpet from the deceased’s car.

The rest are various reports from the Ghana Standards Authority (GSA), a pair of blue-black tracksuit belonging to Afoko and photographs of the crime scene.

The Prosecution is being led by Mr Amponsah, Chief State Attorney, who told the court that Mr Adams was a contractor and lives at the Bolgatanga SSNIT Flats in the Upper East Region and was also the NPP Regional Chairman.

According to Mr Amponsah, Afoko also lived in Bolgatanga and was the younger brother of Mr Paul Afoko, a former National Chairman of the NPP.
The State said the accused was also a party activist, and was close to Mr Adams.

On May 20, 2015, Mr Adams left his house to his construction site in his pick-up truck with registration number NR 761-14.

The Chief State Attorney said he returned to the house in the night and at the entrance of his house, two men signaled him to roll down the window of his car.

He obliged, however, the two men poured acid on him and fled on a motorbike.

Mr Amponsah said Mr Mahama shouted for help and his wife, Hajia Zenabu Adams went to his aid.

He said Mrs. Adams also sustained burns on her chest and breast in her bid to assist the victim.

According to Mr Amponsah, Adams told his wife that it was Gregory and Asabke, who poured the acid on him.

He also mentioned the two accused persons, in the presence of neighbours, as the people who poured the acid on him.

The Chief State Attorney said Mr Adams was rushed to the Intensive Care Unit of the Bolgatanga Hospital where he passed on.

Afoko was picked up at about 0200 hours in his house and he led the Police to Asabke’s house. Asake was, however, not available.

A post mortem conducted on the deceased by Dr Edusei indicated that Mr Adams died of extensive acid burns.