2 Killed In Toll Booth

Two persons died on the spot while another sustained serious injury when an articulated truck with registration number GR2301J, heading towards Cape Coast from Takoradi, crashed into the toll booth at Beposo, near Sekondi at about 3:00am Sunday. The two killed included the driver of the articulated truck whose name was not immediately known, and an assistant toll booth attendant who was identified by some community members as Thomas. The bodies of the two deceased person had been deposited at the Effia-Nkwanta Regional Hospital morgue at Sekondi pending autopsy and the injured person, who was also a toll booth attendant, was on admission at the same hospital. Narrating how the accident occurred, Police Sgt. John Buah, who was on duty at the charge office near the toll booth and the only eye-witness in the case, alleged that the articulated truck driver was over-speeding. According to him, the truck was travelling at top speed and on reaching the toll booth at about 3:00 am, it veered off the road and crashed into the main wall of the booth. The wall fell on the assistant toll booth attendant, killing him on the spot; and the driver also died. The eye-witness noted that the one who got injured sought refuge under a table in the booth at the time of the accident but got injured and was rushed to the hospital. Daily Guide gathered that at about 8:30am yesterday morning, Bismark Boakye, Western and Central Regional Officer of the Road Safety Commission and his team, were at the scene to help clear the debris. When Daily Guide got to the accident scene at about 10:00am yesterday, it was revealed that the toll booth was destroyed totally and the articulated truck was also damaged beyond repairs; but the container on top of it was intact. The Western Regional Minister, Paul Evans Aidoo, who was at the scene to assess the situation, complained bitterly about the accident. He indicated that he had information that the police at the Inchaban Barrier near Sekondi asked the driver who was allegedly over-speeding, to stop, but the driver paid no heed. The Regional Police Commander, DCOP Hamidu Mahama and his second in command, ACP Robert Mark Azu, were also at the accident scene to ensure that calm was restored, as there was heavy traffic on the road after the accident since both ends of the road had been blocked.