PHOTO: Bishop Obinim Weeps In Handcuffs

The sins of Bishop Daniel Obinim finally caught up with yesterday, as he broke down in uncontrollable tears at the Accra Regional Police Headquarters when he was handcuffed by police officers for trial in an assault case. The founder and general overseer of the International Godsway Church (IGC) was arrested and handcuffed like a common criminal over his alleged involvement in an assault case currently pending against him and two of his associate pastors. The self-acclaimed man of God was put before an Accra circuit court yesterday and granted bail. Suspect Obinim, 33, was arrested and detained alongside Kofi Akwetey, 35, and Kingsley Baah, 27, for attacking staff of Hot FM and vandalizing the studio of the station. The three had stormed the offices of the Adabraka-based radio station at about 10:10pm on Monday while a phone-in programme which sought to discuss issues bordering on the man of God was still ongoing. They attacked the host of the programme and other staff members with a metal pinch bar and other dangerous implements. The suspects further assailed them with kicks and beatings until their victims managed to free themselves from their claws to report to the police. A source said while a patrol team was dispatched to accost the suspects, Akwetey, who was spotted escaping, was captured by the police while suspects Obinim and Baah were arrested at the station.At the Adabraka Police Station, they were granted bail to report yesterday at 9am. On arrival at the appointed time, the next day, the three were referred to the Regional Police Headquarters where orders were given for their immediate arrest on conspiracy and assault charges. At that stage, with the reality of ‘sin’ downing on the man of God, suspect Obinim broke down and wept like a petulant child whose toy had been whisked away by a group of mischievous playmates. However, when the married man of three children was earlier entering the station, he was beaming in self-adulation like a captain leading an infantry to battle. As soon as he was he told that he and his accomplices were being taken to court, he began to cry. Obinim literally became a cry-baby in the office of the Regional Crime Officer, Frank Adufati, who briefed journalists on the issue. Supt. Adufati said on August 8, at about 10:10pm, Paul Kwame Ntim, in the company of two other broadcast journalists from Hot FM, with marks on their bodies, rushed to the Adabraka police station. They reported that while they were having a discussion about the conduct of Bishop Obinim, who is said to have had an amorous relationship with the wife of one of his junior pastors, two associate pastors, together with the bishop, wielding a metal pinch bar and other offensive weapons, entered the studio and started vandalizing the glass doors and windows. Suspect Obinim assaulted the complainant in the process. Currently, the police have the pinch bar in their possession as exhibit.